A Day in the Life
With the goal of expanding awareness of duties across our agency and encouraging people to meet coworkers in other departments, we are offering a cross-department job shadowing program. If you are interested, follow these steps:
- Submit the shadowing request form below.
- You will be matched with a person from another department and you will receive a copy of the position description for the person you will be shadowing.
- The two people matched will work out scheduling with each other and work out coverage with their supervisors. The experience could be scheduled as a two half days or one full day.
- Complete the experience within three months unless circumstances require the time be extended.
- Make sure you set aside time to discuss the experience with each other and allow an opportunity for questions.
- Complete the post shadowing questionnaire after your experience is complete.
Expectations for those who participate:
Be considerate and work with each other when it comes to scheduling and show up at the scheduled time.
Do not cancel or reschedule unless absolutely necessary (i,e. for illness or emergency). If you do need to cancel, make sure to notify the person with as much notice as possible.
For any individual-specific meetings or home visits, request permission from the individual or family for the person shadowing to sit in and respect their wishes. Maintain confidentiality of people served and their families.
Be respectful and positive when sharing about your experience.
Be attentive during the shadowing experience—stay off your phone or computer. Make sure you have coverage for your position, so you are not distracted by responding to work issues.
Unless there is an emergency, do not physically assist with any duties that involve direct care.
Shadowees: No need to schedule anything special, but you are welcome to try to plan for a day or time that includes something the person may find especially interesting.
Most importantly - enjoy your experience and learn something new!